Recipe from Northwest Kidney Centers
Looking after your kidneys has never been so delicious. As discussed in our monthly health column, foods and meals low in nutrients such as potassium, sodium, phosphorus and protein are ideal for those currently managing compromised kidneys or are looking to prevent issues. This recipe avoids all of these tricky nutrients!
Crab Cakes with Fresh Coleslaw
Ingredients for Coleslaw:
- 1 head cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated or sliced in strips
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, honey, mustard, onion powder and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, place cabbage and carrot. Drizzle with dressing and chill until ready to serve.
Ingredients for Crab Cakes:
- 1/2 cup celery, finely diced
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 3 cups crab meat, well drained
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs
- In a large bowl, gently fold together all ingredients except the panko.
- Generously sprinkle some panko on a baking sheet.
- Scoop out mounds of crab mixture and place on prepared baking sheet.
- One by one, dredge mounds in panko, shaping into cakes as you go.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat some oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add crab cakes and sauté until golden brown and heated through, about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove to paper towels and drain.