From raising awareness about senior rights to commemorating the lives of the oldest people in our families, holidays honoring elders allow us to celebrate the wise people in our lives and remind us to check up on them and keep up with their health.
The website National Today lists dozens of holidays each year — but we’re happy to celebrate every day the ones who have been alive the longest and have more stories to tell.
Here are just a few of the many holidays related to seniors:
- February is National Senior Independence Month and Spunky Old Broads Month
- February 1 is Spunky Old Broads Day
- February 11 – Grandmother Achievement Day
- August 17 is Baby Boomers Recognition Day
- October 1 is International Day of Older Persons
- October 1 begins Elderly Filipino Week
- October 2 begins Active Aging Week
- October 27 is Grandparents Week
- November 9 is Geriatric Toothfairy Day