Images and recipes by Katherine Cowger
Blackberry, Peach and Basil Cocktail
The perfect refreshing summer sipper, this cocktail highlights blackberries, peaches and basil since it is their peak season. A homemade simple syrup gives this drink a delightful sweetness and makes for a beautiful presentation!
- 1/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/4 cup fresh peaches
- 6-12 basil leaves
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- In a small saucepan, combine the blackberries, peaches, sugar and water. Give the blackberries and peaches a rough mash to release some of the juices.
- Heat over medium-low, being careful not to bring it to a boil. Once hot, turn off the heat and add the basil and lime zest, and juice.
- Steep for about 30 minutes until cool and then strain, using a fine-mesh strainer. Refrigerate and store in an airtight container for about a week.
- 2 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces blackberry simple syrup (recipe below)
- Peach sparkling water
- In a cocktail shaker with ice, pour in the simple syrup and vodka. Shake vigorously.
- Pour in a glass over ice and top with peach sparkling water.
Optional: Garnish with fresh peach slices, berries and fresh basil leaves. Enjoy!
BLT with Whipped Basil Avocado Mayo
Upgrade your BLT sandwich by using fresh and local ingredients, especially during the summer. Good, simple ingredients make this classic sandwich all the more delicious!
Avocado Basil Mayo:
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 10-12 basil leaves
- 1 clove of garlic
- Pinch of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste.
For the BLT:
- Sourdough bread
- Heirloom tomato slices
- Green leaf lettuce
- Avocado basil mayo
- In a cast-iron skillet, cook the bacon until desired crispness is achieved. Transfer to a plate with paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- Spead each side of the sourdough slices with butter or mayo (or both, you do you). In the same skillet, toast the sliced sourdough on both sides until golden brown. Assemble the sandwich, spreading on the avocado mayo and layering lettuce, tomato slices and bacon. Enjoy!