Many Americans spend time watching the Super Bowl, even those who normally don’t watch football and other sports. In fact, in 2022, over 99 million people tuned in or attended in person. Super Bowl LVII is coming up Sunday, February 12 between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Philadelphia Eagles. No matter what team you root for, you’ll enjoy these Fun Facts about this very popular past time!
- After Thanksgiving, Super Bowl Sunday is the second-highest eating day for Americans, who consume over 8 million pounds of guacamole.
- The next most popular snacks are pizza (twice as many pies are sold as on any other day) and chicken wings. (See our healthy recipes below!)
- Each player on the competing teams gets a fancy loaner car, such as a Cadillac Escalade, to drive around in the week of the Super Bowl.
- The NFL doesn’t pay the singers, musicians, or other artists who perform during the halftime show. (But their streaming sales usually go up by 300% or more!)
- Each team in the Super Bowl gets 108 footballs: 54 for practice and 54 for the actual game. On average, 120 footballs are used during regulation play.
- The Miami Dolphins have competed five times and won twice (1973, 1974). The Tampa Bay Buccaneers played in the Super Bowl twice (2003, 2021) and won both times.
- As of late 2022, Tampa Bay Buccaneers QB Tom Brady is the oldest player currently active in the NFL. Brady has seven Super Bowl rings, more than any player in history. (He won six of those rings with the New England Patriots.) He turned 45 last August, so he is five years away from being eligible to read this magazine (haha).
BLT Guacamole Dip
- 3 ripe avocados
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 10 grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup crumbled bacon
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- juice of 1 lime
Remove the skin and pit the avocados – mash in a large mixing bowl with a fork. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve with tortilla chips or veggie sticks.
Stuffed Zucchini Pizza Boats
- 4 zucchinis (about 6-8″ long)
- Italian sausage
- Jar of marinara sauce
- mini pepperoni slices
Cook the sausage until browned, drain the fat, and stir in the marinara sauce.
Slice each zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds to create a channel for toppings. Fill each with sausage mixture, sprinkle with mozzarella, and top with mini pepperoni. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil. Makes 8 servings.