Thumbnail image by Alexander Fox | PlaNet Fox from Pixabay
By Rebecca Fending
May is American Stroke Awareness Month and with it comes an opportunity to learn more about stroke prevention and care. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), high blood pressure is the leading cause of strokes. However, high cholesterol and heart issues also contribute to increasing an individual’s risk of experiencing a stroke.
One way to help prevent your likelihood of a stroke is to nurture your body with nutritious whole foods. This Grilled Salmon and Mango Salsa recipe isn’t just tasty and refreshing for the summer, but it also has a number of health benefits in each fork full. From the high protein and low fat content of the salmon to the mango’s high potassium and magnesium content to help with heart health, this recipe is a knockout for anyone looking for a lighter dinner this season.
Grilled Salmon with Mango Salsa
For the salmon
- 2 (6 oz) skinless salmon fillets
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grill
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a baking dish, whisk together olive oil, lime juice and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for one hour. Prepare salsa (below) while salmon is marinating. Preheat the grill at medium-high heat during the last 10 minutes of marinating.
- Brush grill grates with oil. Place salmon on grill and grill about 3 minutes per side or until just cooked through (turn carefully as the salmon will be fragile). Top with salsa and serve with rice, if preferred.
For the salsa
- 1 medium mango, peeled and diced
- 1 medium chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and diced
- ½ tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl toss together mango, bell pepper, cilantro, red onion, avocado and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready for use.