3 Tips to Manage Your Social Security Online

Social security

Thumbnail image by Markus Winkler from Pixabay


If you receive Social Security benefits, the easiest way to change your address and phone number is by creating a personal my Social Security account at www.ssa.gov/myaccount.  Once you create your account, you can update your contact information from your preferred location.  This feature is available for people who receive retirement, survivors, or disability benefits, along with Medicare enrollees.  If you receive Supplemental Security Income, you can check the address that we have on record with your account.  

Visit our my Social Security webpage to get started.  To create an account, you must: 

  • be at least 18 years old. 
  • Provide a valid email address.  
  • Have a Social Security number (SSN). 
  • Provide a U.S. mailing address (includes military addresses, APO/FPO/DPO, AE, AP, or AA).  

Once you have a valid email address, you are ready to create your personal my Social Security account.  When you visit my Social Security, select the “Create an Account” button.  You will have the option to create your new my Social Security account with one of our two credential partners: Login.gov or ID.me. 

  • Login.gov is the public’s one account for simple, secure, and private access to participating U.S. government agencies. 
  • ID.me is a single sign-on provider that meets the U.S. government’s online identity proofing and authentication requirements. 

Please note, if you already have a Login.gov or ID.me account, you can select the appropriate button to sign in with either one and access your personal my Social Security account.  If you previously verified your identity with Login.gov or ID.me, you don’t need to do so again.  If you don’t have a Login.gov or ID.me account, please select the “Create an Account” link to start the one-time registration process.  

If you create a new Login.gov credential, we will still complete the identity verification part, so you will need to provide some personal information to us.  You will also receive an activation code from us to complete the process. 

Remember, you can do much of your business with us online at www.ssa.gov/onlineservices.

Image by Werner Moser from Pixabay


Do you need an original or replacement Social Security Number card?  We now have a new – and faster – way for you to start online. 

When you go to our Social Security Number and Card webpage at www.ssa.gov/ssnumber, we now ask you a series of questions to determine whether you can: 

  • Complete the application process online.
  • Start the application process online, then bring any required documents to your local office to complete the application, typically in less time.   

Once you complete your application (online or in-person), we will mail the card after we process the application.  Please understand that we don’t issue cards at our offices. 

Finish your application in the office 

If you need to visit an office, please follow these steps to complete the application: 

  1. Learn what types of documents you need to bring to your local office. 
  1. Print and save the online control number shown once you complete the online application.  
  1. Bring the online control number – along with the documents – to your local office within 45 days to finish your application.  Find your local office using our Office Locator at www.ssa.gov/locator 
  1. Check in at the kiosk when you arrive. 
  1. Meet with one of our employees to verify the information that you completed online and review documentation. 

That’s it!  You’ll receive the card in the mail, usually within 7 – 10 business days. 
We’re continuously expanding our services to put you in control and help you secure today and tomorrow for you and your family.  Please share this information with your friends and family – and post it on social media. 

Image by Thomas Breher from Pixabay


You may know someone who gets a monthly Social Security benefit or Supplemental Security Income payment and who also needs help managing their money.  If someone you know needs help, we can appoint a person or an organization to act as a “representative payee” responsible for receiving and managing a person’s benefits. 

When we assign a representative payee, we select someone who knows the beneficiary’s needs and can make decisions about how to best use their benefits for their care and wellbeing.  Representative payees are responsible for completing an annual form to account for the benefit payments they receive and manage.  They must complete this form and return it to Social Security by mail or, if they have a personal my Social Security account, they can file it online using the Representative Payee portal.  Account holders can get a benefit verification letter and manage direct deposit and wage reporting for their beneficiaries.  Learn more about the portal at www.ssa.gov/myaccount/rep-payee.html.  

You also have the option to identify, in advance, up to three individuals you trust to serve as your future representative payee and help manage your benefits, if the need arises.  We call this Advance Designation.  We offer Advance Designation to capable adults and emancipated minors who are applying for or already receiving Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income, or Special Veterans Benefits.  With Advance Designation, you and your family can enjoy peace of mind knowing someone you trust may be appointed to manage your benefits.  Find more information about:   

If you know someone who needs help managing their monthly benefits, please consider becoming a representative payee.  You can also help by sharing this information with friends and family.