By KATHY MEGYERI
Vicki Chavenello from Ft. Pierce has a Valentine’s Day recipe that has her son-in-law flying in annually from Buffalo, N.Y. to enjoy what he says is “the finest meal of the year.” Of course he admits Florida’s sun and warm temps add to the allure as well.
Her five-star, no fail recipe is courtesy of Ina Garten, cookbook author and
host of the Barefoot Contessa TV show on the Food Network.
Pair the beef with a side of rice and peas, chocolate lava cake for dessert, and
you’ll have a flight worthy combo for sure.
It is easy, serves ten, and takes only 50 minutes to prepare.
Filet of Beef
1 whole filet of beef, trimmed and tied (4-5 lbs.)
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter at room temperature
1 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. coarsely ground black pepper
Optional gorgonzola or bordelaise sauce
• Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
• Place the beef on a baking sheet and pat the
outside dry with a paper towel.
• Spread the butter on with your hands.
• Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
• Roast in the oven for 22 min. for rare and
25 minutes for medium rare.
• Remove the beef from the oven, cover it lightly
with aluminum foil, and allow it to rest at room
temperature for 20 minutes.
• Remove the string and slice the filet thickly.
• Add sauce and savor the tender, juicy,
melt-in-your-mouth goodness this dish brings.