By JENNA LEE REEVES
Time for a little Halloween fun by making this panna cotta or “cooked
cream” that looks like a monster’s green eye (or whatever spooky story you decide to tell). The white of the eye is made from cream, gelatin, honey and yogurt, while the green iris is a slice of kiwi. Red berry sauce (made from strawberries or
raspberries) completes the creepy look.
Your prep time will be about 20 minutes but allow about six hours for it to chill.
You’ll also need six molds or wine glasses.
1 pkg. unflavored gelatin powder
2 c. whipping cream
¼ c. honey
3 tsp. lemon juice
½ c. plain yogurt
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 kiwis, peeled, thinly sliced into rounds
6 chocolate covered raisins (for pupil)
2 c. raspberries or strawberries
3 tbsp. sugar
1. In a small bowl, sprinkle
gelatin over 1/4 cup of whipping
cream. Let stand a few minutes
until gelatin has softened.
Meanwhile, heat remaining
whipping cream, honey and
one teaspoon of the lemon juice in small
saucepan over medium heat until mixture
starts to simmer around edges. Stir in
yogurt; bring back to simmer.
2. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin
mixture; whisk until dissolved. Stir in
vanilla and cool slightly.
3. Place sliced kiwi (iris) at the bottoms of
molds or wine glasses; ladle mixture in on
top of kiwis. Cover with plastic wrap and
refrigerate for 6 hours or until set.
4. Make raspberry or strawberry sauce by pureeing berries, sugar and two teaspoons lemon juice in blender until smooth. Drizzle onto serving plates.
5. Release panna cotta onto serving plate. If necessary, dip base of mold or glass into hot
water to release. Place chocolate raisins in the center of each kiwi to create the pupil.