Unfortunately, February is still technically winter. However, that means we have more time to make easy and delicious slow cooker recipes, soups, stews, you name it—anything that makes you want to cozy up into a blanket.
This month is also American Heart Month, 28 days (or 29, every four years) dedicated to educating Americans about ways they can improve their overall health, but specifically how to keep their tickers in working order. This mouthwatering recipe from the AHA combines the desire for a cozy meal in a bowl and the need to include healthy ingredients in our everyday dishes. With 39 grams of protein, 10 grams of fiber per serving and low-sodium ingredients, this chili is a perfect healthy meal for any night of the week.
For more heart-healthy recipes, visit recipes.heart.org.
Ingredients for Heart-Healthy Chicken Chili:
- 2 teaspoons oil, divided
- 1-pound boneless, skinless trimmed chicken breast, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 2 15.5-ounce cans no-salt added beans (kidney, pinto or black), rinsed, drained, smashed with fork
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon each of pepper and chili powder
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes or until cooked thoroughly. Transfer chicken to large plate.
- In the same pot over medium-high heat, heat another teaspoon of oil and add onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeño. Cook for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Stir in chicken, beans, broth, cumin, pepper and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!