Home Plan for the Future Financial Social Security Q&A: 3 Questions

Social Security Q&A: 3 Questions

Social security

Question: How can I see my earnings or my Social Security statement? (G. Hatter, Ft. Myers)  

Answer: You can get your Social Security Statement (Statement) online by using your personal my Social Security account. Your online Statement gives you secure and convenient access to estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors benefits you and your family may be eligible for. It also shows your earnings history. 
To set up or use your account to get your Statement, go to Sign In Or Create An Account
If they don’t receive Social Security benefits and don’t yet have a personal my Social Security account, we also mail paper Statements to workers age 60 and older three (3) months before their birthday. 


Related: Social Security: Fraudsters Never Go On Vacation


Question: I need help with my Medicare Part A and Part B premiums. What can I do? (J. Miller, Delray Beach) 

Answer: States must help pay some of the Medicare costs for beneficiaries who have limited income and resources. Under these programs, states help pay for Medicare Part A and Part B premiums, deductibles and copayments. Some of these programs also pay additional Medicare expenses for elderly and disabled people. 

To find out if you are eligible for state help, contact your local medical assistance office. A representative can tell you the specific requirements and help you apply. For more information visit Medicare.gov. 


Question: Can I sign up for Medicare Part B if I have veterans’ benefits? (J. Hollingsworth, Homestead) 

Answer: Signing up for Medicare Part B may provide you with additional service and location options. 

If you don’t sign up for Part B when you are first eligible: 

  • You may have to wait to sign up, which will delay your coverage, and; 
  • you may also have to pay a late enrollment penalty for as long as you have Medicare Part B.